Recipe by Tina Klein
I found this recipe while surfing the internet for Blue Ribbon Recipes and thought I would share it.. Winner of the 30th Pillsbury Bakeoff Contest 1998
Top Review by Starman5
I have been using a very similar recipe for many years, the main difference being 1/2 cup of orange marmalade instead of the 1/4 cup called for in this recipe. My recipe calls for 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of allspice, I prefer the 1/2 teaspoon as called for in this recipe. Spicy and very tasty, a very good blend of flavors.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup old el paso thick 'n chunky salsa
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh lime wedge, if desired
- fresh orange wedge, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken; cook and stir 7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- In medium bowl, combine salsa, marmalade, brown sugar, lime juice and allspice; mix well.
- Add to chicken; mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- Garnish with lime and orange wedges.