Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe belongs to The Chart House Restaurant. They have a number of locations with renowned chefs. The menu compliments the local cuisine which I love. Also many of their restaurants are on the Ocean. http://www.chart-house.com/
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- With an electric mixer on low speed, beat together first 6 ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Add mayonnaise and beat an additional 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Fold in bleu cheese.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Note: Sometimes I will add 1/2 the bleu cheese, when adding the mayo. This gives the dressing a smoother consistency when serving to younger taste buds. Cooking time is 24hr. refrigeration.
I have been making this recipe for over 40 years from when I first got it at a Chart House that no longer exists (Simsbury, CT). I have made it countless times for dinners at home or parties. It is simply the best there is.
I love blue cheese dressing. It is always my first choice when I order a salad out. Some have been good over the years but always seemed to lack something. My husband and I had dinner at the Chart House in Lake Tahoe several years back and as usual I ordered the blue cheese dressing for my salad. I fell in love! For the first time I had found a dressing that was thick, flavorful and made the blue cheese shine. I didn't think to ask for the recipe at the time but looked it up on the internet later and found it! No one else in my family likes blue cheese that much so I get to enjoy it all myself ...
I've used this recipe for many years since my husband and I got the recipe card from our visit to The Chart House in Mammoth Lakes, CA in the 1990s. Everyone who has tasted it says it's the best, and it's the ONLY dressing I will use. It is very thick and chunky.