Recipe by Ridgely
Yep, it does taste like a BLT sandwich, just in soup form. I love to throw things out there for the family and even though I got funny looks when I told them what we were having, they ate it all. The recipe is also interesting on how it is put together. Again another recipe from my grandmother.
- 6 slices bacon, diced small
- 1 ounce margarine
- 1⁄4 head lettuce, julienne
- 9 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces hot water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (*)
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced medium
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 8 ounces half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pan over medium heat, cook bacon until lightly browned.
- Do not drain fat!
- And margarine and heat until melted.
- Stir in lettuce and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring until well blended, and evenly cooked 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in water and chicken bouillon, tomatoes, nutmeg and red pepper.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and gently boil 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half and half cream, mixing well.
- Heat to simmering, stirring often.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with croutons or bacon crumbles.
- Makes 4 servings.
- *Isubstituted canned chicken broth for the water and the bouillon.