Recipe by lazyme
This salad is easy and good. I prefer a ranch dressing, so use whatever dressing you choose. From epicurious.com.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Made as written except used a mix of iceberg and romaine lettuce. The homemade croutons were so good with the bacon grease cooked in. I decreased the amount of tomatoes since I am the only one who eats them. Will make this again, it was fast and easy! Made for My 3 Chefs.
- 6 bacon, slices (about 1/4 pound)
- 1⁄4 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small red onion
- 1⁄2 lb cherry tomatoes (about 3/4 pint)
- 1 head boston lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat in skillet, drain bacon on paper towels and crumble.
- Cut bread into enough 3/4-inch cubes to measure 1 cup.
- Heat fat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute bread cubes with salt to taste, stirring, until golden brown.
- Transfer croutons to paper towels to drain and cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic, lemon juice, mayonnaise, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice onion and halve tomatoes.
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl toss together onion, tomatoes, lettuce, half of bacon and croutons, salt and pepper to taste, and enough dressing to coat.
- Divide salad between 2 plates and top with remaining croutons and bacon.