Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Woman's Day magazine October 11, 1994 pages 151 - 152. Pictured on page 114
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 quart skim milk
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup corn kernel, drained (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 4 cups coarsely shredded romaine lettuce or 4 cups other crisp lettuce
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 C)
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add 3 C of the milk the potatoes, onion, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes cook, whisk 1/2 C of the remaining milk with the flour until blended.
- Stir milk mix into soup along with the remaining 1/2 C of milk and the corn.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add romaine and tomatoes and cook 1 minute longer, or until lettuce is wilted.