Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A TOH family favorite winner from the kitchen of Shara Walvoort of Wisconsin. This is yummy even with supermarket tomatoes, can you imagine fresh from the garden?
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 8 slices bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and dried basil. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in sour cream. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Press pastry into a 9 in pi plate;flute edges if desired. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, bacon, green pepper and onion. Layer half of the tomatoes on crust; top with half of the mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.