Out of frustration at not finding a decent blackened tofu recipe I made one up, using several recipes online as examples. The trick in frying the tofu is to remove the excess moisture from the tofu first. I always add less thyme-it not being my favorite herb...add more if you wish. Oh, this might be a good time to state that this is very spicy! Since I've posted this recipe I have actually reduced the amount of pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g extra firm tofu, drained
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml soy margarine, melted
- 2.46 ml smoked paprika
- 4.92 ml onion powder or 4.92 ml onion flakes
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 2.46 ml whole black peppercorn
- 0.59 ml dried thyme
- 1.62 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml unbleached white flour (or whole wheat flour)
- butter (for frying)
- lemon wedge
- 1Drain the tofu and cut into 1/2" slices. Drain on wire cookie rack with two heavy pans on top for weight. The weight of the pans will help in removing the excess water from the tofu. Drain at least 30 minutes but up to 45 minutes.
- 2Melt the butter and set aside in shallow dish.
- 3In coffee mill or food processor, blend all the spices together to a fine powder.
- 4Place the spice mixture on a piece of wax paper. Stir in the flour with the spices.
- 5Heat some butter in a cast iron skillet on medium to medium-high heat, but DO NOT burn.
- 6Dredge the tofu slices one at a time in the melted butter then in the spice mixture.
- 7Fry tofu slices on one side for five minutes, until blackened but not burnt. Turn over and fry another 5 minutes until blackened.
- 8Season with salt to taste. Serve lemon wedges on the side for drizzling.
- 9Makes an ideal appetizer if cut up into strips. Really tasty with Tabasco sauce!
- 10Red beans and rice would complement this perfectly!
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackened Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.3
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 937.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 22.8 g