Recipe by PaulaG
I have always been a fan of catfish. We lived in Baton Rouge, LA several years ago and I became a fan of blackened catfish. This is a wonderful recipe that is quick to fix.
Top Review by pemberly
I loved the flavor of this. I would have been disappointed had it not been spicy. It was just right. The only thing is that I found it difficult not to burn the outside of the fish to a crisp had I left it in the pan for the recommended time. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
- 1 lb catfish fillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the fish fillets in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them, let stand for 30 minutes.
- Combine spices in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Heat a cast iron skillet upside down over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until very hot.
- Turn on vent fan during cooking to eliminate smoke.
- Using a hot pad, turn pan right side up.
- Remove fish fillets from oil and drain.
- Dip each fillet into seasonings and coat each side evenly.
- Put fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning only once.