Recipe by ellie_
Posted per request for recipes using blackberries. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 1983)
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
Oh my, ellie, this was good! I love the combination of the blackberries and apples together. Instead of topping with whipped cream, I served this with vanilla ice cream. It was a perfect ending to our meal. Thanks bunches for sharing the recipe!
- 4 apples, peeleded and cut into thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons blackberry preserves
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 10 tablespoons butter or 10 tablespoons margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnut halves
- whipped cream, optional garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples and juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover and simmer 6-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Drain, reserving juice and apples.
- Measure 2 cups apple slices and set aside. Additional juice and apples can be used for another purpose.
- Combine berries, water and preserves in medium saucepan.
- Combine sugar and arrowroot powder in a small bowl and then stir into berry mixture.
- Cook over medium heat nd simmer until thickened (6-10 minutes). Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Stir in sifted dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into two parts, with one part being slightly larger than the other.
- On a board on top of wax paper, roll the larger piece of dough out into a 12-inch circle.
- Put pastry into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Add reserved apples. Top with walnut halves. Pour berry mixture over walnuts.
- Roll remaining dough out to a 9-inch circle.
- Place over filling and press top and bottom pastry edges together to seal. Prick top over with fork.
- Put pie pan on top of baking sheet in case of spill over.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until pastry in golden and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.