Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A dessert from Canada. Great comfort food!
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1.5 (1/3 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 3 cups blackberries (or raspberries)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Serve this dessert with whole fresh blackberries in the summer or, in winter, puree frozen blackberries to serve as a sauce.
- Crust: In bowl, combine crumbs, almonds and Sugar; mix in butter.
- Pat into 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
- Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool on rack.
- Custard Layer: Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, stir Sugar with cornstarch; whisk in milk and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and smooth.
- In bowl, whisk egg yolks; stir in half of the hot milk mixture. Return egg yolk mixture to pan; cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Stir gelatin into cold water; let stand for 1 minute, then stir half of the mixture into custard.
- Cover and set remaining gelatin mixture aside for blackberry layer. Lay plastic wrap directly on surface of custard; let cool.
- Pour over crust and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- blackberry Layer: Press blackberries through food mill or fine sieve to mask, remove seeds and make about 1 cup (250 mL).
- Transfer to small saucepan; add Sugar and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring to dissolve Sugar.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and reserved gelatin mixture until gelatin is dissolved.
- Chill until consistency of raw egg whites.
- Whip cream; fold in blackberry mixture. Spread over custard; cover and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- (Dessert can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
- Cut into squares to serve with forks.