Recipe by dicentra
The Horn of the Moon by Ginny Callan
Top Review by averybird
I was excited to find a coffee cake recipe that uses honey in place of sugar as our friends with bees gave us 14 lbs of honey! This one does so with a good result- a nicely textured cake that is not overly sweet. I made this in a bundt pan and used 3 cups of garden blackberries and was pleased with the extra amount. I also made this using all white-whole-wheat flour. Thank you.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend butter and honey with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in batches, alternating with buttermilk until all of the flour and buttermilk are blended in smoothly.
- Fold in blackberries.
- Butter a 10 inch tube pan and pour in batter.
- Bake 1 ¼ hours until golden and toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the center of the cake.