Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
from Martha Stewart Weddings
for the buttermilk cake
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for tossing berries
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 5 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 150 fresh blackberries (about 6 cups)
for the frosting
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup blackberry puree (about 3 cups whole berries)
- 7 lbs rolled fondant
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cake pans with cooking spray; cover bottoms with parchment, and coat again; set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until fluffy, about 12 minutes. Mix in vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Divide batter among prepared pans. Gently toss berries in flour to coat completely, and gently press into batter.
- 3. Bake until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean. (If the cakes become too dark while baking, cover with foil.) Transfer to wire racks; let cool in pans slightly. Invert cakes onto racks. Remove parchment, and reinvert. Cakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored up to 1 day.
- 4. To assemble: Review Cake Assembly instructions. Cut each cake in half horizontally, making 4 layers of each size. Spread buttercream on 3 cake layers (see note below for amounts). Stack layers, placing the plain layer on top. Coat tiers with buttercream; chill. Smooth fondant over tiers.