- 2 cups blackberries or 2 cups raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir in melted margarine till thoroughly combined. Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 9x9x2" pan. Bake in a 350 oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully spread filling on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Lightly press oat mixture into filling.
- Bake in the 350 oven for 20-25 minutes more or till topping browns.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.