Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Black Walnut Candy
Make and share this Black Walnut Candy...so easy. From Out Of This Kitchen cookbook. recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- In a heavy skillet, combine all ingredients except the butter.
- Cook over low heat and stir constantly.
- When it thickens, add butter.
- Mix until the butter melts.
- Don't beat it too hard!
- Pour mixture onto a greased cookie sheet or pie pans-- just make sure it will not stick.
- When completely cool, break into small pieces.
- A hammer may come in handy for the breaking!
- Folks have suggested putting it in a bag and breaking it with something heavy.
- Hammer again reccommended.
- These store well in a sealed container with wax paper between the layers.
The flavour and texture of these candies remind me of a chocolate caramel; chewy but not sticky or hard. Really yummy! DH's eyes lit up when he tried these. I did use pecans instead of walnuts (they were on hand) However, I had a really hard time getting these off a very well buttered cookie sheet. As well, they were too soft to break with a hammer (maybe I didn't cook them long enough) but too hard to cut with a knife. I may just try to put spoonfuls on wax paper next time.
Although I followed the directions exactly and the ingredients just as listed... this did not work out for me at all. The "candy" never hardened and remained a sticky goo, like the other reveiwer.