Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from Chef Nanda Kishore of Tiffin Restaurant in Chicago. Plan ahead, overnight soaking time.
- 1⁄2 lb whole Urad Dal, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- cooked basmati rice
- chopped cilantro, to taste
- minced fresh ginger, to taste
- Drain dal; rinse; combine dal with the 3 cups water, turmeric and oil in a medium saucepan; heat to boiling, cover and cook until dal are cooked through but not mushy, about 30 minutes- the dal should absorb most of the water.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, cumin, garam masala, salt, red pepper, butter and half-and-half; heat to boiling over medium heat; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice; garnish with cilantro and ginger.
This recipe is filling and tasty. It goes well with naan. I made some changes by adding some dried kidney beans (1/4 of a pound) along with the black urad and cooking it with 5 cloves of garlic with plenty of water in a pressure cooker. I also omitted the garam masala and added only the ground cumin, red chilli powder and salt, along with adding one chopped tomato, thinly sliced onion and fat-free half and half. It was better the next day after it sat in the refrigerator-thank you Hey Jude for sharing this recipe.
I think this is the most perfect combination i have seen on the net..i love it