Punjabi Dal Makhani
photo by udita
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 3⁄4 cup Urad Dal (black matpe beans)
- 1⁄4 cup red kidney beans (rajmah)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches gingerroot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (extra large tomatoes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Soak whole black urad and rajma overnight in 3-4 cups of water.
- Cook the soaked dal and rajma in the same water with salt, red chili powder and half the chopped ginger till dal and rajma are cooked and soft.
- Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Also chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil and butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, when it crackles add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are well mashed and fat starts to leave the masala. Add boiled dal and rajma to this.Do not add the liquid at first.Crush(mash) the dals with the back of the ladle while stirring continuously, this gives that creamy texture to the dal .
- Add the liquid and some water if required and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
- Add fresh cream and garam masala powder let it simmer for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasoori methi powdered.
- Serve hot with Naan or Paraatha.
- Tip: Replacing the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste will enhance the taste and colour of the dish manifold.
Questions & Replies
I went off the rails working with what I had — ghee instead of oil+butter, no fresh ginger so I added powdered ginger to the oil at the beginning to try to coax flavor out of it.... I had extra onions, 2 small plum tomatoes — and at the end I decided to try ras el hanout instead of garam masala and teleport the dish to North Africa instead of India. It works. ;)