Recipe by Vino Girl
This is a recipe that I haven't tried, but it caught my eye and my imagination, so I don't want to lose sight of it. It comes from Vegetarian Times and contains black-eyed peas! If you do the optional decorations, it is a beautiful and show-stopping cake.
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup raisins (regular or golden)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 5⁄8 ounces fat free cream cheese (1/3 of an 8 oz package)
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Hershey chocolate kisses or 12 chocolate stars
- 32 dried apricots
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans, or grease and line with circles of parchment paper.
- CAKE: Cook apricots in 2 cups water, about 12 minutes, until very soft.
- Measure out 1 cup apricots and liquid; set aside.
- Put remaining apricots and liquid in blender and puree.
- Add peas to blender and puree again.
- Put oil, brown sugar and eggs in mixing bowl; beat on high 3 minutes or until creamy.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over puree and fold together.
- Gently fold in flour mixture.
- Fold in raisins and pecans, if using.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- FROSTING: Beat cream cheese in mixer until creamy.
- Beat in remaining ingredients. Frosting will be soft but it will firm upon standing.
- Place one cake layer on plate and spread reserved apricots over it.
- Top with second layer.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- TO DECORATE: Cut apricots into slices.
- Place chocolate kiss or star on cake, and arrange 8 apricot "petals" around it, skin side up.
- Repeat until cake is covered.