This salad would make a terrific addition to summer BBQs and picnics, it travels and holds well. The slightly sweet and spicy dressing gives the vegetables a welcome zing.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag black-eyed peas, frozen
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup purple onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 3 jalapenos, seeded & diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- salt and black pepper
- In saucepan, add frozen BE peas, 1/2 t salt, cover with water; bring to a boil and cook until peas are tender (about 40 minutes) adding water if needed; Drain well in colander.
- While peas are cooking prepare all vegetables, olives and garlic; stir together in mixing bowl.
- Make dressing: Add vinegar, honey, sugar, sage, red pepper flakes, black pepper to small bowl or blender; Slowly beat in the oil until thickened.
- Pour drained peas and dressing into the bowl of vegetables; Stir well: Add parsley flakes; Adjust salt& black pepper to taste.
- Chill at least 2 hours to let flavors blend; Stir well before serving.