Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This soup was so easy to make, the hardest part was soaking the black eyed peas. Use any spicy sausage you like.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 lb spicey sausage, I use Beef Hot Links
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning, optional for me
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- hot sauce, to taste add at the end
- Soak black eye peas over night.
- Drain and pick out the broken, discolored peas and any other debris.
- Place the diced vegetables in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add pre-soaked peas.
- Add sliced sausage.
- Pour in broth and stir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Before serving, use a stick blender to smash up about 1 cup of peas.
- If you don't have a stick blender, smash up 1 cup of beans.
- Don't blend too much-just enough to get to get the broth thicker and creamy looking.
- Ladle into bowls and add Hot Sauce to taste.