Recipe by sassafrasnanc
You can serve this like a real pate in slices or you can fry them into bite size tidbits. Both variations are popular. Vegetarians are always delighted to find something "different" at the hors d'eourve table.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon canned jalapeno juice
- 3 pickled jalapeno peppers, whole
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 6 ounces green chilies, chopped, canned
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the peas in the broth for 50-55 minutes until soft.
- Drain peas and put into food processor with the next 4 ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Pour into wax paper lined loaf pan and chill overnight.
- Serve cold with tortilla or bagel chips.
- Variation: (my favorite) Fry the mixture into little patties in vegetable oil and serve with a spicy mango salsa while still warm.