Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is apparently a recipe they make at the Black Eyed Pea restaurant (EDIT: apparently not the Black Eyed Pea Restaurant cornbread - thanks Kelly - but still yummy), but I tried it out at home and it was delicious. Rather filling, it's maybe a little too much for a side, but it's very good. Try it out! I've also just remembered that I actually used a couple of red chilli peppers, rather than jalapeno peppers, which gave it a bit more kick. So it's up to you which you use :)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup black-eyed peas
- 3⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 jalapenos or 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown the meat and drain well. Break it into small pieces.
- Add other ingredients in order given.
- Mix well and place in a 13x9x2" pan that has been well greased.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 45mins, or until done.
- Serve hot!
this sounds delicious and i have it in my book to try... but, for the record, i worked at a black-eyed pea restaurant and this is not their cornbread recipe... it's just a simple, sweet cornbread.
This recipe was OK, but for our taste, a little too bland.