Recipe by windhorse23
this is a recipe I adapted from one I found in a crockpot cookbook.
Top Review by heartnurse2006
I found this recipe when I did a search for smoked sausage and chicken (but did not want jambalaya), because I had 1 chicken breast and a package of smoked sausage in the freezer and my next trip to the grocery store was not for a couple of days. This was really good, I did sub onions for the celery (not a big fan of celery). I soaked and cooked dried black beans instead of the canned beans. I will be making this again, thanks for posting!!
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 14 ounces water
- 1 bouillon cube, any flavor
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces smoked turkey sausage, chopped
- 4 ounces cooked chicken breasts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse two of the cans of black beans. Put all the beans in a 4 quart pot.
- Combine all the ingredients. Heat on medium high until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cook, covered, until the celery and green pepper are done, about 20-30 minutes. Before serving, take a potato masher and mash up the beans a little.