Recipe by Volleyballchick
This is a flavorful no fuss black bean recipe made in a crock pot.
Top Review by keen5
I made this over the weekend and it was really good. I didn't have fresh cilantro but I still thought it was very tasty. I added a pack of Goya Sazon to it, but I do that to all of the black bean dishes. I also added a little dried parsley. Other than that, I followed the recipe. Thank you. I will be making this again.
- 1 lb smoked ham hocks or 1 lb a 1/2 pound of thick cut bacon
- 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the dried black beans in cold water and drain.
- Place the dried beans in a five quart slow cooker.
- Cover the beans with all the ingredients.
- Cook on low 10-12 hours.
- Stir and check occasionally to make sure the beans are not getting dry, add water if necessary.
- When the beans are soft it is done.
- Garnish with additional cilantro if you like you can also season it to taste.