Recipe by texasjj
This is a low fat, vegetarian meal that is not tasteless or bland. Give it a try for something different.
Top Review by rickoholic83
Wonderful! I loved it! I layered in the olives and added some jarred jalapeno slices. Topped the finished product with some shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and Recipe #217809. This is a delicious vegetarian meal. Thanks for sharing, texasjj! **Made for I Recommend**
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- green onion, sliced (optional)
- pitted ripe olives, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet combine onion, green chilis, undrained tomatoes, Picante sauce, garlic and cumin.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- In 13x9x2 inch baking dish spread 1/3 of bean mixture over bottom.
- Top with 1/2 of tortillas, overlapping if necessary, and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, then remaining tortillas and remaining bean mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- If desired, top with tomato slices, green onions and olives.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream or yogurt.