Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
From Gourmet, January 1995.
Make and share this Black Bean Soup With Lime recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large ham hock (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb dried black beans, picked over
- 1 red onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 -32 ounces whole canned tomatoes, with juice, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- lime slice
- In a 5-quart kettle simmer ham hock in 3 quarts water, covered, 1 hour. Add beans, onion, and bay leaf and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until beans are just tender. Stir in tomatoes with juice, salt, and remaining cup water and simmer soup 45 minutes, or until beans are tender. Soup may be made 1 day ahead, cooled completely, and chilled, covered.
- Remove ham hock and reserve for another use. Discard bay leaf and stir in lime juice to taste. Divide soup among 8 bowls and garnish with lime slices.
sorry i couldnt get better pix, loved thlime with the black beans this is easy in crockpot zwt 9
this was a great way to use up my ham bone that has been in the freezer for several months, I did a few changes to this, I sauteed the onion with 2 tablespoons garlic and 2 teaspoons crushed chili flakes, I liked the idea of the fresh lime juice, thanks Ev!....Kitten:)