Recipe by Moogliwoogli
We found a good black bean soup recipe here and adapted it to our tastes. You can also use this recipe to make other types of bean soup as well. We hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do. Cooking time doesn't include soaking the beans.
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 ham bone, with meat attached
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 -5 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight in water. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat and fry the onion until limp, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Note: Make sure your pot is big enough to hold the ham bone!
- Add the celery, stir well and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic & jalapeno and stir well.
- Add the dry seasonings and stir well.
- Add the beans and stir well to coat.
- Add the chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Reserve the rest of the water to add as needed. Stir again and add the ham bone.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender. Stir often to prevent sticking and add additional water as needed.
- After about 1 1/2 hours remove the ham bone and separate the meat from it. Return the meat to the pot.
- Do not add additional salt until the soup is done since the ham bone may have lots of salt already.
- If desired, can add additional ham for a meatier soup.
- Serve with corn bread for a delicious meal.