Recipe by MarissaB
Got this recipe from my nutritionist. I use nearly twice as much Swiss Chard than the recipe calls for, but feel free to experiment, and use however much you want.
Top Review by mambo #5
Made this the other night and loved it. Husband was set to order pizza after dinner....till he ATE dinner. I roasted the butternut squash before adding it to onions and farlic which added flavor and cut down on cooking time. I added a full bunch of swiss chard which was almost double the recipe, but it was great.Also, used chicken broth. But really, this was hearty and deliciously flavorful!!! A keeper for sure!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups coarsely chopped swiss chard leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute until tender and golden, about 9 minutes.
- Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or red onion if desired.