1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I made this for dinner the other night and it was delicious! I got it out of Southern Living's great light recipe section.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1Black Bean Cakes with Chipotle Cream.
- 2Makes 8 servings. For a quick dinner option, freeze black bean cakes up to 3 weeks in advance; then prepare Chipotle Cream just before serving.
- 31 red bell pepper, diced.
- 41/2 cup sliced green onions.
- 51/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed.
- 64 garlic cloves, minced.
- 76 teaspoons olive oil, divided.
- 82 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained.
- 91 1/2 tsp ground cumin.
- 101/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper.
- 111/4 teaspoon salt.
- 121/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 132/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided.
- 143 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro.
- 152 Tbsp light mayonnaise.
- 161 large egg, beaten.
- 17Chipotle Cream (see recipe below).
- 18Saute first 4 ingredients in 2 tsp hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 19Mash 1 1/2 cups black beans in a large bowl. Stir in remaining black beans, red bell pepper mixture, cumin, and next 3 ingredients. Add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, cilantro, mayonnaise, and egg, stirring until well blended.
- 20Shape black bean mixture into 8 (1/2" thick) patties. Place patties on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and chill 1 hour. Lightly dredge chilled patties in remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- 21Cook 4 patties in 2 tsp hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 patties and 2 tsp oil. Serve with Chipotle Cream.
- 22Chipotle Cream.
- 231/2 cup light sour cream.
- 242 teaspoons fresh lime juice.
- 251 teaspoon minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- 26Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Cakes With Chipotle Cream
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.9
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 191.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo