Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
modified from ppk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes (about 6 oz.)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, RINSED
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder and cook 1 minute. Add 1 cup water and sweet potato.
- Cover and cook until potatoes can be pierced with a sharp knife, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and beans, breaking the tomatoes up into smaller chunks.
- with the side of the spoon.
- Simmer the stew uncovered over medium-low heat until the potato is very tender, about 8 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce slightly, mash about
- a quarter of the beans against the side of the pan.
- Stir in cilantro and season with Tabasco and salt and pepper (if desired).