Recipe by Travis H.
First cold day of Fall and I was craving chili. I came up with this recipe out of the ingredients that I had on had with an emphasis on adding a bit of nutritional value for my son.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I used beef broth instead of water. This was a meaty and beany chili that but it was missing something for us.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute diced onion, diced green pepper and shredded carrot in olive oil until tender but not browned. Approximately when the liquid cooks out of the vegetables.
- Add garlic and ground beef and cook until ground beef is browned. Note, I did not drain the fat due to all of the vegetables so I highly recommend using extra lean ground beef in this.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered. Cook for 30 minutes or until your desired consistency.
- Note: Adjust chili powder and cayenne to your taste. Feel free to add green chili, hot sauce or other heat sources to kick it up or reduce seasonings if you feel it is too hot.