Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
For authenticity, leave out the anise and use the mature seeds from cilantro (coriander.)There are native sweet wines from Mexico that are very similar to others, too.
- 1 cup lard or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 3 tablespoons sweet wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cream fat and sugar until quite creamy.
- Add egg and beat until very fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in wine and anise seed.
- Roll dough to 1/4" thick and cut in plain squares or fancy shapes.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until light brown.
- Freezes well.