Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Tender, flaky, cheesy biscuits covered with Country Sausage Gravy made with turkey breakfast sausage. Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1.5 fat, 2 carbs. From Spring 2013 Diabetic Living magazine.
- 4 ounces uncooked bulk turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 4 cheddar biscuits (Cheddar Biscuits from Diabetic Living)
- fresh sage leaf (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan cook sausage over medium heat until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Add butter to saucepan. Stir until butter is melted. Stir in flour, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 1 minute. Whisk in milk. cook and stir until thickened. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Split each Cheddar Biscuit. Serve sausage mixture over split biscuits. If desired, garnish with fresh sage.
- 4 Servings: 1/2 cup gravy and 1 biscuit each.