Recipe by Olha
Make plenty of these light and airy shrimp appetizers as your guests will be going back for more. You can use the Honey Mustard Sauce as a glaze on ribs.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 3⁄4 cup light colored beer
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 large shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined (some tail intact, about 1.75 lbs/875 g)
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 3⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- *Preheat oven to 200°F.
- *16 cup (4 L) saucepan or deep fryer.
- *Candy/deep fry thermometer.
- SHRIMP: In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat about 4 inches of oil until thermometer registers 360°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together biscuit mix, beer, milk, eggs, salt and cayenne pepper to make a smooth batter. Let stand for about 20 minutes while oil is heating.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Holding the tail of each shrimp, submerge into batter. Place in hot oil and deep fry, 4 at a time, turning halfway, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Transfer to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in preheated oven. Make sure oil is the correct temperature before adding each batch. Makes 24 shrimps.
- HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE: In a small bowl, combine honey, mustard and hot pepper flakes. Serve alongside shrimp.
- TIP: Make sure the shrimp is cooked, cooled and dry so that the batter sticks to it.
- 125 best biscuit mix recipes.