Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Passed down from PA Dutch decendents. Perfect for summer evenings.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 quart fresh blackberries or 1 quart raspberries
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, mix well.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Add alternately with milk.
- Mix well, fold in fresh berries.
- Place in a greased and floured 9x12 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm with milk, ice cream or whipped cream.
Lynda, I'd like some more handed down PA Dutch recipes, please. This was quick, easy, delicious and browned perfectly making it surprisingly pretty. Here in the Northwest blackberries are often thought of as noxious weeds. This recipe is a great argument that they're not. Thanks.