I love navy bean soup. Heck I more than love it. Thats why I made 10 or 12 batches to come up with this recipe. On a cold day or night this will warm your heart body and mind. It may also cure the flu. Maybe.
- 1 large ham bone
- 16 ounces dried navy beans (give or take)
- 2 onions, chopped (not sweet)
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped (yukon gold if possible)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- Soak beans for 8 hours or overnight.
- Fill up a round dutch oven with water, leaving enough room for beans.
- Add ham hock and boil for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Add dry seasonings, cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add beans and the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Cover and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Every hour or so uncover and stir, I like to cook it till the beans start to break open. I hope you enjoy it.