1/18 Photos of Big Thicket Chicken and Dumplings
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Susie in Texas's Note:
If you love good, old-fashioned, down home chicken and dumplings, this is the real thing! Note that this dumpling recipe makes "a bunch of dumplin's" because around here, most folks want more dumplin's than chicken. (prep time includes cooling time for cooked chicken.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 gallon water
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thin or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1Place whole chicken and water into large pot or dutch oven.
- 2Add poultry seasoning, garlic powder& pepper.
- 3Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium.
- 4Cook chicken for about 1 hour or until tender.
- 5When done, carefully remove chicken from pot; set aside to cool.
- 6Remove 2 cups of stock and set aside to cool.
- 7Add celery, onion, carrot and bouillon cubes to remaining stock and continue to cook on simmer.
- 8While chicken is cooling, prepare dumplings.
- 9Into large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, poultry seasoning and salt.
- 10Add margarine and combine until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- 11(use a hand mixer) Add eggs and cooled chicken stock (be sure your stock has cooled to"just barely warm") then stir by hand to form a dough.
- 12Turn out onto floured surface and knead slightly until smooth.
- 13You may need to divide dough in half and only roll out half at a time.
- 14Roll out to approximately 1/8-inch thickness.
- 15Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough in vertical strips about an inch wide.
- 16Then repeat the process, cutting horizontal strips, which will give you little square dumplings.
- 17Return chicken stock to a boil; drop dumplings in, a few at a time, as quickly as possible.
- 18Cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking to bottom of pan.
- 19When done, remove from heat and cover pan.
- 20Remove skin and debone cooled chicken.
- 21Cut into bite size pieces then fold into hot dumplings & broth.
- 22This recipe will serve a family of 4 two main course meals.
- 23Leftovers can be frozen.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Thicket Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (809 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.3
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.9 mg
- Sodium 1572.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 32.7 g