1/1 Photo of Big Brother Ted's Veggie Beef "stoup"!
2 hrs 20 mins
An extremely hearty, aromatic and very flavorful rustic type soup/stew. My dear big brother has developed this recipe over the years by adding & subtracting ingredients and perfecting his version! I'm honored that I was able to persuade him to write out and share the recipe! It's a stick-to-your-ribs meal in itself but be sure to serve with crusty peasant bread and a big salad! Nothing subtle about THIS "stoup"! I do believe he adapted this recipe from some of the soups and stews our mother and grandmother made (both restaurateurs)-and that may account for the quantity!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs chuck roast (not too lean) or 5 -6 lbs stewing beef, in 1-inch to 2-inch cubes (not too lean)
- 5 lbs white potatoes, in 1-inch cubes with skins
- 5 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (29 1/2 ounce) can corn or 1 (1 lb) bag frozen corn
- 1 medium firm head of cabbage, in 1-1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) jar of minced garlic
- 2 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (if you like a little kick-use Tomatoes with green chili's)
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 3 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can swanson's beef broth
- 1Large stock Pot (4 gal or more).
- 2Brown beef, put in stock pot, add frozen veggies, garlic and potatoes, stirring to mix, then add onions, cabbage and stir in seasonings. Add broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours until potatoes and meat are tender.
- 3Makes approximately 3-31/2 gal. Feeds 10-12 "stoup" lovers. Serve with fresh baked bread or crackers with REAL butter -- to heck with cholesterol (his words!). Even better the next day!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Brother Ted's Veggie Beef "stoup"!
Serving Size: 1 (1031 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 846.1
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 1387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.2 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 68.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning