Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
leavened, deep fried Punjabi bread, must be eaten hot, cannot be reheated
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semolina
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- oil (for frying)
- Mix yeast and sugar and water.
- Sift flour semolina and salt, rub in butter or ghee.
- Add yeast mixture to make dough, knead 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in oiled bowl, leave to rise in a warm spot for about 1 hour.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and punch down.
- Divide into 10 equal pieces and shape into balls.
- Roll out into 5 inch rounds.
- Fry in 1/2 inches of oil 30 seconds each side.
- Serve hot.