1/1 Photo of Betty's Crunchy Brownie Bars
1 hr 5 mins
A goodie Betty shared with the group at our annual rughooking retreat. Recipe originally came from the back of a Duncan Hines brownie box, but she decided she liked a Betty Crocker boxed brownie mix better. Cook time does not include time to cool. I thought the oatmeal layer might detract from the brownie, but it was a wonderful compliment.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (21 1/4 ounce) package brownie mix (Betty Crocker Hershey's Triple Chunk Supreme)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1For crunchy layer, combine flour, soda and salt; stir in oats and brown sugar.
- 2Add the 3/4 cups melted butter and pat mixture in bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 3Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes; at this time it will not be completely baked.
- 4While bottom layer is in the oven, prepare brownies as directed on package.
- 5Spread batter in pan over crunchy layer.
- 6Return to oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until done (do not over bake).
- 7Prepare frosting when brownies are cool.
- 8In a small saucepan melt together chocolate and the 3 tablespoons butter.
- 9Remove from heat; immediately add confectioners' sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons hot water.
- 10Stir until smooth; add remaining tablespoon hot water to make a soft, pourable consistency.
- 11Spread over brownies while frosting is still hot; let set until firm.
- 12Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty's Crunchy Brownie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1852 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.2
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 178.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g