Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chocolate fudge that comes from the dog-eared pages of this cookbook. To this day, my family can down a whole pan of these before they have completely set. Yummy, especially licking the bowl. *Please Note*, add extra milk (a teaspoon at a time) if mixture is to thick. Time includes setting time, that is; if this fudge makes it that long. Exceptional tasting for a simple recipe, and easy for your children to make too.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix sugar and cocoa in a saucepan.
- Stir in butter, milk, and light corn syrup.
- Bring to boil. Boil 3 minutes stirring constantly. Take from heat.
- Immediately add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and chopped nuts (if using).
- Stir until sugar is completely blended. Turn into 8 inch square pan and pat out with fingers. Cool. Cut into squares.
Responding to Bonnie G from last December. Tips that might help alleviate graininess (I've had that problem). Cut boiling to 1 minute(later versions do that). Use less confectioners sugar. Sifted 3 cups is less than unsifted. Less sugar also cuts down on the sweetness factor. I have made this fudge more times than I want to admit since I got this cookbook when it first came out in 1957. Each time it is a little different in final texture but still very good.
I'm not rating this with stars because I'm sure I did something wrong. I've never been able to make fudge with that creamy texture that I love (think I cook it to long) and I'm afraid that I did the same thing here so it's my error not the recipe. The I made this recipe as part of my holiday tray and it came out hard and grainy - but I did want to review as the taste is wonderful and chocolaty so I know if I can get the timing right we are going to love it. I will sure be trying it again just must figure out how to make fudge as it's my grandkids very favorite at this time of year.
Andi -5 fudgy stars as this is the first time I have had any success with fudge !! I am thrilled especially as I didn't have to fiddle with thermometers etc . It has actually set and I am so happy - taste yummy too !