Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
There are many versions of this around but, IMHO, non equal to this one. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coursely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup i stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes instant vanilla pudding
- 2 (4 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding mix
- chopped nuts
- chocolate curls
- Heat over to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, mix flour, walnuts and butter.
- Pat into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in half of the whipped topping.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Prepare vanilla pudding using 2 cups of the milk.
- Spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Prepare chocolate pudding with remaining 2 cups milk.
- spread over the vanilla pudding layer.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over pudding.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate curls.
- Cut into squares.
This is a great recipe. I use pecans instead and usually just mix the the flour and nuts in the baking dish and then pour the melted butter over the top, mixing and pressing into the pan. My grandmother and mother made this recipe when I was young and now when I make it, my children go crazy over it. Thanks for posting this!
I am so glad you posted this! I've been looking for this recipe. My mom used to make this for special events and potluck dinners. We love this recipe! Best when left to set overnight. I have made this ligher by using Neufchatel (light cream cheese), Fat Free frozen whipped topping, sugar free puddings, and light margarine. You can also reduce the amount of walnuts in the base, or make a graham-cracker crust instead.
This recipe is a delight! 5 stars!<br/><br/>I made the Better Than Robert Redford cake for a covered dish supper for my methodist church. It paired very nicely with the "Cheesy Ham and Tater Tot Casserole" I also found on this web site. I got so many compliments! It tasted divine!<br/><br/>The light and airy Cool Whip and cream cheese layer contrasted nicely with the dense and silky pudding layer, and those nuts on top were such a nice, salty, crunchy finish! I do not know if it is truly better than Robert Redford but it was certainly delicious. I will be making this again, perhaps for my Ladies' Bridge group.<br/>-Betty T