Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour
FOR VANILLA PUDDING LAYER
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
FOR CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, very soft
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cream
WHIPPED CREAM LAYER
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
PINEAPPLE CARAMEL LAYER
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 can caramel sauce or 1 can chocolate syrup (optional)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate (2 sq)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter a 9x13" baking pan.
- Set oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350'F.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and, at low speed on mixer, blend until mixture is pebbly and can be pressed together.
- Press mixture on bottom of buttered pan and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely.
- (If using a food processor, process until ingredients are a coarse mixture.) For pudding, beat egg yolks and set aside near stove.
- Whisk the sugar, flour and milk in a medium saucepan until free of lumps.
- Set over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, just to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk a little of the hot, thick pudding into the beaten egg yolks then pour the yolk mixture back into the pudding, whisking really well.
- Continue to cook 1 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Pour pudding into bowl and add vanilla and butter, stirring until butter melts.
- If pudding has lumps, pour through a large, fine mesh strainer.
- Chill, with plastic wrap pressed directly on surface of pudding, until ready to use.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice just to blend.
- In separate bowl, whip 1 cup cream to medium stiff peaks.
- Fold a scoop of whipped cream into beaten cheese then fold remaining cream into cheese.
- Set aside.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups cream, sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks.
- Spread crust with cream cheese mixture, top with pineapple, then caramel or chocolate sauce.
- Spread pudding over pineapple; spread whipped cream evenly over pudding.
- Chill well.
- To make glaze, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until smooth and completely melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Drizzle in zigzags across cake's surface.