Betelnut is a Southeast Asian-style eatery/beer house in San Francisco on Union Street.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 lb fresh chinese spinach egg noodles (chow mein; available in Asian markets)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mixed fresh cilantro or 1 cup mint or 1 cup Thai basil or 1 cup regular basil
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon minced Thai green chili or 1 tablespoon jalapeno chile (optional)
- 1In a large wok, saute pan, or skillet over medium heat, heat the oil.
- 2Add the ginger, garlic, and red curry paste and stir-fry until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add the fish sauce, oyster sauce, and coconut milk and simmer for 3 minutes (The sauce can be made ahead to this point and set aside for 2 to 3 hours. Reheat before continuing).
- 4Just before serving, cook the noodles in a large pot of unsalted boiling water until tender, about 4 minutes.
- 6Increase heat under the sauce to high and add the noodles, herbs, bean sprouts, and the chili, if using.
- 7Toss until the noodles are heated through and well coated with sauce.
- 8Serve at once, on warmed plates.
- 9Note: Serve these noodles as a side dish with grilled meats, fish, or chicken.
- 10If you can't find spinach chow mein, use regular chow mein.
- 11Your dish won't be as emerald, but it will be fiery and delicious.
- 12Serves 3 or 4 as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betelnut Pejiu Wu's Emerald Fire Noodles with Cilantro, Mint, and Basil
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.6
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1084.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai red curry paste
fresh chinese spinach egg noodles
Thai green chili