Prep 10 mins
Cook 33 mins
My Mom Rosie made this cake. I always loved it. It is a very moist cake, and very easy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into 10x7 inch or 8 to 9 inch square pan.
- With index finger, make 3 holes in flour mixture.
- Pour butter into first hole, vinegar in second, and vanilla in third.
- Pour water over all. With a fork, stir mixture well until combined.
- Bake cake 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Immediately top cake with chocolate morsels and bake 3 minutes longer--just until morsels soften. Spread the chocolate evenly over the cake.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with ice cream.
Very easy and very moist! I made this with a Peanut Butter Frosting. Thanks for a great recipe!
Wacky Cake is one of my favorite cakes. I love the texture and moistness of the cake. If you decide you don't want to use the chocolate chips on the top try this recipe for Grammie Bea's Special Vanilla Frosting. It goes very well with this cake. It is sweet, but not overly sweet, and it is a great frosting for designs. After my cake is frosted, I often take the tip of a rounded knife and press down on the frosting and then pull away and it makes picks all over the top of the cake. Very pretty, especially with chopped nuts, sprinkles, Jimmys, or anything else you might want to add on top.