Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you don't particularly like spinach, give this recipe a try. I can guarantee that it will turn those dull spinach into a tasty dish!
- 500 g fresh spinach or 500 g frozen spinach
- 3 eggs
- 2 slices bread (any type)
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- salt and pepper
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- First prepare a béchamel: Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Pour some milk little by little, stirring continually with a wooden spatula to incorporate the milk into the mixture.
- Continue pouring the milk until obtaining a thick white sauce (a little less than a pint of milk should do).
- Season with salt and pepper. You can add ground nutmeg to the white sauce to improve the flavours.
- Next, prepare some boiled eggs.
- Then, put the spinach with a tablespoon of water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes (a bit longer if using frozen spinach).
- When cooked, salt the spinach and move it into the sauce.
- Mix well.
- To make the croutons, break the bread slices into bite size pieces.
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and brown the bread each side for a few minutes Remove the bread from the pan.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the frying pan and maintain on a low heat to keep the spinach hot until serving.
- Sprinkle with the croutons on top.
- Cut the boiled eggs in half and serve in plates with the spinach and croutons.
I wasn't crazy about the boiled eggs in this. I think that next time I will also add some garlic to give it just a bit more flavor. That said it was a nice side dish.