1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from Christoper Kimball of Cook's Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. It makes about five dozen rum balls that are intense, fudgy, chewy, complex, and balanced. Recipe can be halved or doubled. Plan ahead, since these are best when left to mellow for at least a few days in the refrigerator. They keep very well and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a couple of weeks or frozen for up to a few months. Cooking time is refrigeration time. Use vanilla for a non-alcoholic version (sometimes called moon balls).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate or 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks)
- 4 cups vanilla wafers, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup best quality cocoa
- 1 cup toasted pecan halves, finely ground in a food processor
- generous pinch salt
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup Meyer's dark rum or 3/4 cup rum, of your choice or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chocolate sprinkles
- 1Place the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. When melted, stir until smooth and set aside to cool until warm.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the wafers, sugar, cocoa, pecans and salt in a large mixing bowl. Note that any lumps can be worked out once the wet ingredients are added.
- 3Once the chocolate/butter mixture is cooled, transfer it to the bowl of a food processor (no need to wash it after grinding the wafers and nuts). Break the almond paste into small pieces and add it to the chocolate mixture. Process until smooth, about one minute. Add the sour cream and process until well combined, about 20 seconds. Transfer to the large bowl containing the dry ingredients. Add the rum and stir until the mixture is smooth and homogeneous, about two minutes. Refrigerate until firm, at least an hour and up to overnight.
- 4Form the mixture into one-inch balls and roll in chocolate sprinkles. Place on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until very firm, about one hour. Transfer to covered containers and allow flavors to mature for three days and up to two weeks. Remove from refrigerator about 20 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Rum Balls (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (992 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.7
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.9 mg
- Sodium 2.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: