Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
My mother made the best Ham & Bean Soup, my recipe is AS CLOSE to hers as I could duplicate from memory; now my own family and friends love it too. It's a long list of ingredients, but oh the resulting soup is sooo good. Oh... my hubby insists, if we weren't already married, my recipe alone would be worth another proposal!
Quick Soaking Beans
- 1 cup dry small white beans
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups fresh water
- 1 large meaty smoked ham bone
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (NOT dry)
- 2 whole dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons dry onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup celery, sliced (microwaved)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chicken base, paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 cups water (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup small dry pasta shells
- Quick Soaking Beans: Heat beans and water until boiling, remove from heat. Cover and soak beans for 1 hour.
- Pressure Cooker: After quick soaking beans, drain and rinse. Add fresh water, the ham bone and seasonings. Cover and heat equivalent to 15 lbs PSI; time for 7 minutes, plus 1 minute per 1000 ft above sea level. Remove from heat, to allow pressure reduce normally.
- Soup Ingredients: Uncover, add the remaining soup ingredients (except pasta); simmer 45 minutes. Stir in pasta and simmer 15 more minutes, or until tender.