Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderfully comforting, healthy, and easy to make soup. From the Canadian Heart and Stroke Healthy Living Calender for 2006 (called "Winter Warming Soup".
- 1 cup dried split yellow peas
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned corn niblet
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped ham
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine peas and broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add ham and vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until peas are tender - about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in milk and season to taste. Reheat gently and enjoy.
Although I usually like making a soup in less than half an hour, it's always nice, once in a while, to take the time to make one like this, 'cause the rewards it a wonderful smell throughout the kitchen accompanied by being able to eat & enjoy some great comfort food! We love your soup & I'll keep the recipe around so I can make it again! Thanks for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]