Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a Newspaper Article many years ago from a woman who used to be a cook in a restaurant - she said "this was our best-selling soup. One taste and your family will agree it's a winner! --- Mary Detweiler, West Farmington, Ohio
- 3⁄4 lb fully cooked ham
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup potato
- 3⁄4 cup carrot
- 3⁄4 cup celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In a 3 quart saucepan, saute ham, onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.
- Add the next seven ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and cook for 5 minutes. Add parsley and serve.
This was great and filling. I finished it off in a crockpot and added a bay leaf. Good stuff.
I must agree with the other opinions, this is an excellent soup and it would be very adaptable to pretty much whatever veggies you have in stock or need to use up. We very much enjoyed this tonight and it's going into my "Keepers" cookbook. Made for PAC, Spring 2011
This was a very tasty soup. I made it twice in one week!