Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have tried many, many potato soup recipes. This one is by far my favorite.
- 10 cups water
- 4 tablespoons ham soup base
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes (I use the red skinned)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup American cheese spread (I use Velveeta)
- flour (optional)
- water, equal parts with flour,whisked with flour together until smooth to thicken soup (optional)
- white pepper
- In large soup pot, combine water, ham base, ham, carrots, celery and onions.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender, 30 to 30 minutes.
- Combine milk and cheese spead in medium saucepan.
- Cook on low heat until cheese has melted stirring often so it does not burn.
- Add to potato mixture.
- If desired, thicken soup by gradually adding the flour/water mixture until soup has reached desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper.
Yummy! I followed the recipe exactly, and I did add flour to thicken it. It turned out fantastic and was a huge hit. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks!
Bonnie, Mmmmmmm Yum,This is a great comfort food. It was a very creamy,very tasty soup,I did use the velveeta cheese and I did thicken with flour,and I loved this soup. Thanks,Darlene Summers